Friday, December 20, 2013

My tryst with Nepal

When I arrived in Nepal in August 2009, I had a lot of questions and perceptions in mind. Having known few things about Nepal from my childhood days, I was happy to witness these things myself and observe the system and practices in governance; as well as in the society and culture.

The landing at Kathmandu and taking a cab was a pleasant surprise as everything was so similar here including music and culture as in India. Everyone would think that I am Nepali only, for my looks, and some understanding of Nepali.

When I reached GON office for my assignment also, I noticed that I was recognised as Nepali until I disclosed my identity for work on introduction. Even having been recognised everyone was very warm and would ask me everything about India and Indian systems. After a while, I realised that almost all systems, acts, rules and procedures were similar as in India. This gave me a 360° view even in my initial days. I also noticed that people at times were critical of India (a big brother phenomenon) but soon they realised that I report and work for IMF and stayed away from any such controversies as any rational man should on Indo-Nepal issues. In no time people started appreciating that I focus mainly on Nepal and for their reforms agenda; and my objective was of helping develop new and reformed PFM systems.

Soon I realised that Nepal, who always claimed about low capacity, actually had no major capacity constraints and it was just a mindset that capacity was low. In real sense, it needed reorientation to the good practices and monitoring them to work the path of reforms and by making them ‘change agents’ themselves. The idea clicked and we soon witnessed that in spite of transition issues and capacity reasons, through the national system and capacity changes started happening.

Few things were important to achieve. These were: initiative of top leaders, leadership by MOF/FCGO, intent and support of staff to change to new systems, and political consensus on reforms. We saw them all happen and advancing.

As the things started happening ‘the cat was out of the bag’ and everyone started talking about success of TSA and cross-cutting reforms. Suddenly, the FCGO was in focus on reforms and managing them all by themselves. The new donors now agreed to extend the olive-branches and things took a new course. Now funding for reforms is no issue for any good project on PFM.

The role of MOF, FCGO and above all the districts staffs had been exemplary to carry out reforms. Ultimately, it is the staff at the ‘grass root levels’ have to implement reforms; and they all rose up to all challenges and withstood tests of time.

I encouraged FCGO and staffs to visit India and see their systems; and every year 50 or more officers visited. The Embassy of India were generous enough to bear all the expenses on this and the ‘bilateral cooperation’ continues now. Now the reforms coordination is with PEFA Secretariat located in FCGO, who will coordinate major reforms, activities and be a nodal point for all reforms initiative and their implementation. It sounds great to have such a mechanism in place.

We must extend due credit to the GON and their staff for their commitment and implementation of reform something that was never felt missing. Now that I am done with my assignment, I wish all GON staff and officers the best of governance and happy life ahead. I will cherish the memories of Nepal (my home away home) always in my heart. I am always just an email or phone call away for any help that I can extend for anyone.

No comments: